Best Graphics Card for Laptop That You Can Choose FromShusree Mukherjee March 10, 2020 0 COMMENTS
The Graphics Card is a part of computer hardware that creates the image we see on a monitor. Maybe it sounded like, graphics card gives birth of the images, but what it does, is quite different than that. The best graphics card for laptop job is to transform data into a signal that can understand by our monitor.
The better graphics card you will use the smoother image you can see. So naturally, the graphics card is a very important piece of hardware for gamers and video editors. There are different types of the graphics card,
The graphics are built into the motherboard and neither easily changeable or upgradable. In the section of the motherboard where the integrated graphics are built, no add-in card is used there. You can find this built into ‘Standard’ laptops and computers and they are cost-effective models.
This type of graphics card can be used as an extra component because it’s an add-in best graphics card for laptop. Those who want to renovate or upgrade their system, this type of graphics cards are ideal for them. Most usual computer-users who mostly use their pc for internet surfing, creating documents or watching movies, will be very profitable with this.
How to get the best user experience?
There are a few sections, where a best graphics card for laptop should be amazing to give users the best experience,
Graphics Processing Unit or GPU is the brain of a graphics card, just like CPU. This does the main job of a graphics card. It converts the data coming from CPU into imageries. You should use a complex and quicker GPU so that your images can be smoother and the games can be lag-free.
From the name, it’s easy to guess that people can easily expand their PC internally by adding the additional cards. Expansion slots are helping users for many years. Until now the expansion slots have changed significantly. We saw its upgrade from PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) to the latest PCI-E (PCI-Express) which now offers the best bandwidth.
There are some motherboards that have space for more than one graphics cards, this is called SLI (NVIDIA) or CossfireX (AMD). SLI is basically Scalable Link Interface, used for linking multiple cards in a single system.
- FPS: Today is the age of modern games and pro-level editing using Photoshop. So, naturally users have the need to get a graphics card for better experience. Because to deliver you the highest resolution pictures and lag-free HD gaming experience, your PC must be able to convert the data into visuals, perfectly. And PC delivers these details in a particular frame rate. We can see these figures expressed as frames per second or FPS. Your PC’s graphics card FPS should be amazing to have better experience.
- RAM Configurations: Today we can also find graphics cards, containing RAM memory, but it are separated from your PC’s RAM. Because the memory is dedicated graphics memory. We can see graphics cards with the capacity within the range of 512MB to 8GB. May be you are wondering, in what possible manner should one will need graphic’s memory? They are ideal for gamers. A gamer needs at least 1 GB graphics memory while laying games.
- Monitor Support: The best graphics card for laptop can support multiple monitors. It depends on graphics card’s GPU. The more powerful the GPU is, the more it is possible for a graphics card to support more monitors.
- Form factors: Just like above components are very important for a graphics card, the form or the size and shape of the graphics card also matters. But there are options available for you.
As an example, if there is only a short room in your PC for the graphics card, you can buy slim line-shaped cards.
- Manufactures: There are two main manufacturers of discrete graphics cards. AMD and NVIDIA. AMD is also known for producing integrated graphics cards.
Best graphics card for laptop
Don’t forget, nowadays laptops also became powerful. Now there is no different category for laptops to be only used in business or office or education or other daily work purpose,. We can also play game and continue our editing works in our laptops.
Most laptops come with inbuilt integrated graphics. But those laptops which come with discrete graphics have different range of GPUs. Entry-level graphics cards used laptops are good for casual gaming and watching Full HD or Blue-ray movies and also pretty cheaper than other gaming laptops, using the best graphics card for laptop. Mid-end and High-end graphics cards are used in those gaming laptops.
Here is the list of best laptop GPUs from NVIDIA
- GeForce RTX 2080
- GeForce RTX 2070
- GeForce RTX 2060
- GTX 1660 Ti
- GTX 1650
- GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
- GeForce GTX 1080
- GeForce GTX 1070
- GeForce GTX 1060
- GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
- GeForce GTX 1050
- GeForce GTX 1080 Max-Q
- GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q
- GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q
- GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
- GTX 1050 Max-Q
In the above list, TX 20 and GTX 10 series graphics cards are built with latest technology. Max-Q graphics cards are the most powerful-efficient variant of standard graphics cards, used in laptops. They are also pretty good heat-resistant compared to graphics cards. Current Max-Q versions are- GTX 1050, GTX 1060, GTX 1070 and GTX 1080. These versions are quite (15% to 20%) slower that its standard versions but they deliver good performance in games and other applications in case of comparing with mid-range or budget laptop graphics cards.
Here is the list of some old but powerful GPUs from NVIDIA
- GeForce GTX 980
- GeForce GTX 980M
- GeForce GTX 970M
- GeForce GTX 965M
- GeForce GTX 960M
- GeForce GTX 950M
- GeForce GTX 880M
- GeForce GTX 870M
- GeForce GTX 860M
Here is the list of budget graphics cards from NIDIA. These graphics cards may not that power-efficient and they are may not be the latest version, but you can still enjoy a bit of gaming, only if the game is older and can run fine on lower graphics settings.
- GeForce GTX 945M
- GeForce GTX 940M
- GeForce GTX 930MX
- GeForce GTX 930M
- GeForce GTX 920MX
- GeForce GTX 920M
- GeForce GTX 910M
- GeForce GTX 850M
- GeForce GTX 840M
- GeForce GTX 830M
- GeForce GTX 820M
- GeForce GTX 800M
Best laptop graphics cards from AMD can only be called best only if the GPUs belongs from high-end to higher mid-range. Here is the list of best laptop GPUs from AMD
- Radeon Vega 10
- Radeon Vega 8
- Radeon RX 580
- Radeon RX 570
- Radeon R9 M485X
- Radeon R9 M470X
- Radeon R9 M470
- Radeon R9 M395X
- Radeon R9 M390X
- Radeon R9 M385X
- Radeon R9 M375
- Radeon R9 M380
- Radeon R9 M375X
- Radeon R9 M365X
- Radeon R9 M295X
- Radeon R9 M280
- Radeon R9 M275X
- Radeon R9 M270X
- Radeon R9 M265X
Just like NVIDIA budget graphics cards for laptops, there are also a few suggestions of AMD budget graphics cards. These are mostly Radeon R7 series and R5 series. Now, between R7 and R5 sereis, R7 GPUs are more powerful than R5 GPUs. And the range is between mid to lower-range.
- Radeon RX 560
- Radeon RX 550
- Radeon RX 540
- Radeon 530
- Radeon 520
- Radeon R7 M465X
- Radeon R7 M465
- Radeon R7 M445
- Radeon R7 M440
- Radeon R7 M370
- Radeon R7 M365
- Radeon R7 M360
- Radeon R7 M340
- Radeon R7 M270
- Radeon R7 M265
- Radeon R7 M265X
- Radeon R9 M485X
- Radeon R5 M435
- Radeon R5 M430
- Radeon R5 M420
- Radeon R5 M335
- Radeon R5 M330
- Radeon R5 M320
- Radeon R5 M315
- Radeon R5 M255
- Radeon R5 M230
NVIDIA Or AMD?
If we talk about overall performance, then we cannot decide it only by judging graphics cards. It varies from model to model. But certainly, there are a few things we should keep in mind while buying graphics card. Obviously, there are some differences between NVIDIA and AMD. But it does not make one less than another. If you are thinking about it in term of price, then AMD is your answer. And if you want a high-end GPU, then NVIDIA is always one step ahead than AMD.
We can easily admit than NVIDIA technology is much advanced, overall. They generate less heat as well as consume less power. On the hand AMD cards have a little lack in their processing department. They increased bandwidth in their lower-priced models, that’s the reason why AMD graphics cards consume more power and can be extremely heated.
Ultimately nothing matters when the whole pint comes in a conclusion of budget. Simply, if you have budget for your graphics card, then go for NVIDIA and if have the boundary of budget, then buy AMD graphics card.
How To Test A Graphics Card?
When we are thinking about testing graphics cards, at first ‘picture quality’ or ‘gaming speed’ comes in our mind. But that’s not enough. You should judge them with three major factors- feature set, performance and price.
Feature set is always depends on brand. We should first decide which manufacturer do we want? NVIDIA and AMD have different feature and some special features in addition. Apart from the basic features, things like, how many monitors do the graphics card supports, need to be judged for sure.
If you talk about performance then it can be alone give us the answer. We should go through a graphics card’s detailed record which contains frame rate trends, frame time, noise, heat and artifacts, to judge the card on the basis of its performance.
We should check every graphics card’s price that we shortlisted in term of feature and performance. Because there are a lot of graphics cards which can be perfect for your need in affordable price. And of course, don’t forget about seasonal offers. They are the perfect time to crack a great deal.
Here is the list of a few best laptops with discrete graphics cards
- DELL G7: DELL G7 is the most affordable way to get hexa-core Intel i7. We can found GTX 1060 Max-Q graphics card in it. This graphics card is useful even where you are interested for VR gaming. It also contains 16GB RAM, and quarter TB storage.
- Apple MacBook Pro (upgraded): This is the most recent version of Apple MacBook. It is blessed with the speedy RX Vega 20. It is not for video gamers but it is perfect for video editors.
- MSI GT75 TITAN: If you are looking for high-end gaming and a lot of data to process, you will not find a better option than MSI GT75 Titan. It has the most powerful mobile GPU (small sized GPUs).
- Apple MacBook pro: This is one of the most popular choices of today’s users. It contains Radeon Pro 560X and integrated Intel HD 630 chipset, so that you can increase the battery life drastically.
- ASUS ROG ZEPHYRUS: This laptop is basically packed with amazing features. It is an amazing gaming PC and it runs on 265 GB SSD with a hybrid FireCuda drive. And its classy, clamshell design makes it perfect.
- HP SPECTRE x360: This can finish nearly any task with an amazing exceptional speed. It contains Vega M graphics card which can provide you amazing VR experience. 3.1 gigahertz, quad-core CPU and a 512 GB solid-state drive, makes it unique from others.
- Razer Blade 15: It has one of NVIDIA’s high-efficiency graphics card, Max-Q line. All over Razer Blade 15 is a massive work station.
- AGER PREDATOR HELIOS 500: It has Radeon Vega 56 chipset which allows buttery-smooth gaming. It is very fast if the question is about competition. It runs faster easily with about 60 FPS or better and have a 17 inch display.
- AGER PREDATOR HELIOS 300: It’s an amazing deal in such lower price. It contains GeForce GTX 1060 GPU that easily runs the laptop and has i7-8750H processor.
- MSI GS65 STEALTH: It can meet almost all your basic needs. The MSI GS65 Stealth is proper for your daily works.
The best graphics card for laptop is always a better option for you if you have heavy jobs. In case of your gaming hobby, you should start saving money for a better graphics card. If you have cash then you have a lot of options and if there is a lack of money, then just wait until you have enough.
Writing allows me to pour my heart out in words. So, that's what I've been doing for the past 6 years. I strive to bring in a change in the world by taking tiny steps of curating the right message that needs to be conveyed.